Thursday, December 6, 2018

Which Toy? Why?

Tis the season of gift giving! While it sounds like fun, giving gifts comes with a lot of stress; especially when thinking about just the right toy for a child.  When my boys were young, I would consider dozens of toys before deciding on the winner. While some of my choices were hits , I have to admit that I've spent my good money on many items that were quickly disregarded and then discarded.

As my boys have grown into men, gift cards are always a sure bet. They are useful but have lost the glitz and glamour of a large colorfully wrapped box.  While I do my best to decorate the pieces of plastic to look as special as their recipients,  in the end they are lackluster. Despite my children growing up, this time of year always brings toys to mind.

Go into any store at this time of year and you are inundated with toys; big toys, small toys, colorful toys and the like. As a parent who has a hard time making up her mind, this can be overwhelming!  Sensory overload is just a piece of the stress, many questions flood my mind as I agonize over choosing just the right toy to gift to a child:

 1.  Is the toy going to be safe?  Are the pieces too small to pose a choking hazard for a toddler?  Are there any sharp pieces? Strings that could cause strangulation concerns?  Lead paint?  Will the toy break easily?  Has the toy been recalled by the Consumer Product Safety Commission?

2.Will the toy provide any fun for the child?  Does it move, surprise or otherwise entertain?

3.  Is it age appropriate?  Will the skills needed to interact with the toy correlate to my child's skill set?

4.  Is the toy any good?  Is it well-designed, easy to manipulate, open-ended and appealing?

5.  Will this toy provide my child with opportunities to think, be creative and practice a skill?

6.  Does the toy perpetuate any stereotypes or biases?  Is it violent?  Are there any other negative traits associated with it?

7. Is the toy durable? Can it be thrown without shattering into pieces or at least be washed when needed?


While this list of questions isn't exhaustive it does give me reason to pause and scratch my head!  How did my children's toy room end up like it did with all of these questions that needed to be answered before  the purchase of a toy? 

Lucky for you I've found a solution. Dr. Toy!  She is one of the nation's leading experts on toys and she has been generous with her knowledge. To check out Dr. Auerbach's list of awards, please visit the link below:

                                             http://www.drtoy.com/

Happy gift giving season!

No comments:

Post a Comment